Making money while you sleep is amazing. Imagine waking up and finding extra money in your account! It doesn’t even matter if it’s a couple of dollars or a hundred – it’s still exciting.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you purchase something through one of those links, I may earn a commission. Please read our disclaimer for more information.
6 Jobs That Make You Money While You Sleep
First on this list is blogging. It’s first mainly because I’ve listed the jobs in alphabetical order. But also because it is my favorite passive income source. It’s also surprisingly cheap to get started – only $3.95 per month with BlueHost.
How can you make money blogging? There are a few ways including selling your own products and services but I’m not including those in the blogging section because it isn’t passive income (such as services and physical products,) or it will be covered below (digital products.) We’re going to cover ads, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, and membership sites.
Ads will not pay you millions – especially on a new blog. You’ll be lucky to earn a few dollars each month. Yes, I said each month, not each day. And you’ll have to earn $100 to get paid out with Google Adsense. But it’s a couple of extra dollars that you didn’t have.
Once your blog starts to take off, your ad revenue will increase. But it definitely won’t pay you a bunch.
What is affiliate marketing? Affiliate marketing is pretty much a commission. You recommend a product or service, someone buys it (usually through your affiliate link,) and you earn money.
Still, don’t get it? No worries!
Check out this post on What is Affiliate Marketing for more details.
Many companies you know and love have an affiliate program already.
These affiliate programs are usually found one of two ways (sometimes both):
- On the Company’s website. To make it really easy on yourself because some affiliate programs are very well hidden, head over to Google and search for the companies affiliate program. If nothing comes up, they may not have one. Unless their program is on an…
- Affiliate Network. An affiliate network is a place that hosts hundred of companies’ affiliate programs. A few affiliate networks include; MaxBounty, ShareASale, Awin, and more. If you want to read more about affiliate networks check out this post here.
A sponsored post is really just a long ad post that a company will pay you to run. To get sponsored posts you can contact brands directly or join a sponsored post network that will connect you with brands.
Turning your blog into a membership site requires that readers pay before they are allowed to read some or all of your content. You can charge your reads small monthly fees or a one time charge.
Personally, I’m not a fan of membership sites. If I happen to click a link that takes me to one, I’m out.
2. Write a Book
Another job that will make you money while you sleep is an author.
And now with Amazon, you can write your book and throw it up on Amazon right away. Amazon will take their cut and you can take yours.
Related: How to Publish a Book on Amazon.
3. Digital Products
What are digital products? A digital product is a product that isn’t physical and can be shipped electronically to your buyers.
The greatest part of digital products is that they are unlimited. You can create the product once and sell it over and over again.
Digital Products Include Things Like:
- Stock Photos and Videos
- Even ebooks and so much more.
What you can rent will really depend on your situation. But you can rent almost ANYTHING.
You can rent as much as an entire house to as little as a parking space.
And you can rent out your car with apps like Turo.
You can rent out your trailer, boats, and other recreational toys.
Musicians, actors, and authors make royalties. We covered authors above, we’re going to mainly cover musicians.
If you are already creating music this one may be a great option for you. You can sell your music right on places like iTunes and earn a portion of the profits for each song sold.
Selling your songs on iTunes is similar to the digital products mentioned earlier – a single song can be sold over and over again.
The last job to make money while you sleep is a YouTuber. In my mind, a YouTuber is almost exactly the same as a blogger. The only difference is that you’re on camera.
YouTubers can make money exactly the same as blogger:
- Ads. These ads will be shown periodically throughout your videos. Keep in mind though, the process to get ads on your videos is much harder than it is to get ads on your blog.
- Affiliate Marketing. Ever heard a YouTuber say something along the lines of, “you can find the products I used in this video in the description box below.” Those descriptions that usually take you to Amazon – that is affiliate marketing.
- Sponsored Posts. Like bloggers, YouTube can also make sponsored posts.
Is it too Good to Be True?
It’s really important that you understand – this isn’t a set it and forget it situation. But you can take a vacation here and there and still make it work for you.
First, you will have to set up your foundation. Depending on the job you choose this could be different. A blogger will need to build a website and add blog posts. A write will need to write and edit a completely publishable book. A landlord will need to buy and/or set up the property (or room) to rent.
Secondly, every job will require some kind of maintenance. And even for the same job, the maintenance won’t be the same.
- Updating. Blogging and YouTubing should be updated frequently. Not only will this increase your revenue income but it will as increase your reach.
- Promoting. Every single “job” on this page will require promoting. Renting is the only one with minimal promoting, as once you have a renter you really won’t need to until that renter leaves.
You probably could set these up and leave them for years, but the amount of money you would make wouldn’t really increase much and may disappear completely.
So is it too good to be true?
Well, you won’t wake up and be a millionaire. Especially, just beginning.
When I first got ads on my site, I woke up with $1.59 and I was ecstatic! Obviously, I’m not able to live off $1.59 – even if I had made that daily – which I didn’t. But I was actually sleeping when I made that money.
So it definitely is doable. Will pay better than others. Some will fluctuate more. Others like a rental property are pretty stable – as long as you have a renter.
Which of these jobs to make money while you sleep will you try?
PS: I have this awesome freebie library that you should check out & yes – it’s all free!