Want to start a blog, but you don’t have a lot of money to invest in getting it up and running? In this post, we are going to be walking through how to get a blog up and running affordably. And you can start your blog on a budget.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you purchase something through one of those links, I may earn a commission. Please read our disclaimer for more information.
Can You Start A Blog For Free?
Yes, you can. You can host your blog on places like Blogger completely for free.
Should you? This completely depends on what you want to do with your blog.
Are you looking to turn your blog into a business? If yes, then no you shouldn’t host your blog on a free blogging site. It’s not professional and it will be much more difficult to monetize your blog.
Are you looking to update your friends and family of what’s going on in your life? Do you have zero intention of ever making a dime off your site? Then a free blog would be a great idea for you. But this post isn’t right for you – check out this post on the Best Free Blogging Sites.
What You Need to Start A Blog on a Budget
Domain Name & Hosting
Bluehost is a great affordable hosting site. Their hosting rates start as low as $3.95 per month. This price includes a FREE domain name.
12 Month Plan: $71.40
24 Month Plan: $118.80
36 Month Plan: $142.20
Unlike Bluehost, Siteground has a flat rate of $3.95 per month for their plans no matter how long the term. They also don’t have a free domain name included in their plan, and their domains cost $15.95.
SiteGround’s Rates (including the domain name purchase)
1 Month Plan: $34.85
12 Month Plan: $63.35
24 Month Plan: $110.75
36 Month Plan: $158.15
Which Plan Should You Choose to Blog on a Budget?
Bluehost’s 36-month plan will get you the most bang for your buck at $3.95 per month. While SiteGround’s 36-month plan works out to be $4.39 with the domain name purchase.
If $142.20 is too high for your budget, then either of SiteGround’s 12- or 24-month plans would be your best option.
Choose the highest plan you can afford since both of these company’s rates are introductory rates. This means that after your term (doesn’t matter if it’s 1 month or 3 years,) your plan will renew at their regular rates.
AVOID SiteGround’s one month plan like the plague. It’s not worth it, and you’re paying an extra $15 in fees.
There are tons of free themes to choose from. These themes may not be as customizable as a paid theme but if you’re on a budget they will work great until you get your blog on its feet.
Like the themes, there are a lot of free plugins to use to get your blog started.
Must-Have Free Plugins
- YoastSEO. This helps with keyword optimization and SEO. The free version really does a whole lot and is definitely worth installing
- Smush. Smush will compress images that you upload to your site improving your site’s performance.
- Contact Form 7 or WPForms. Either of these are good and will help you to create a contact form for your blog very easily.
Does your new blog need advertising? Yes. Do you have to pay for it? No. You do get better results paying for it, but it isn’t a necessity.
Here are a Few Ways to Advertise Your Blog For Free:
- Pinterest. Pinterest is a great tool to advertise your blog on and it’s free. (Not including Pinterest Ads, which do cost money)
- Social Media. You can use other social media sites to promote your blog.
- Pinterest Group Boards. I know that we already covered Pinterest, but Pinterest Group Boards are worth the extra mention. Join group boards similar to your niche and post your created pins to the group board.
- Tailwind Tribes. Tailwind itself isn’t free but you can schedule up to 100 pins for free and post to the tribes on the free trial.
Paid Advertising Methods
- Tailwind App. It starts at $9.99 per month and it’s technically a Pinterest Scheduler. It lets you schedule an unlimited amount of pins and 30 monthly tribe submissions. Sign up through my link and get $30 credit until June 30.
- Pinterest Ads.
- Facebook Ads.
- Instagram Ads.
- Google Ads.
Summing it Up
Depending on your budget, there are a few great options to keep your budget to the absolute minimum.
To start your blog, the only thing that you need is a domain name and hosting.
PS: I have this awesome freebie library that you should check out & yes – it’s all free!